The purpose of the lab to compare the differences in chlorophyll content and photosynthetic efficiency between fruiting trees (A. rubrum) and non-fruiting trees (Malus Donald Wyman).
Located on Michigan State University campus,the A.rubrum tree codes used were 2007024002, 2007024003, and 2007024106. The Malus tree codes used were 2003082209, 2003082210, and 2003082207.
The research question to find out if one species of trees is more beneficial to an environment in terms of oxygen production and/or carbon dioxide absorption due to it be fruiting or non fruiting.
Hypothesis: The fruiting trees (A.rubrum) will have a more higher chlorophyll content and photosynthetic efficiency than the non fruiting Malus trees.
Question: Will A.rubrum, have a higher chlorophyll content and photosynthetic efficiency than the non fruiting Malus trees?
Objective: Randomly sample 10 dry outside leaves in each quadrant based on cardinal direction of six different trees (three from each type) of the same species during fall.
- Using wifi, log on to photosynq.com. Turn off wifi and go out into the field with the MultispeQ and Android device.
- Know the four distinct quadrants of the trees (Northeast, Northwest, Southwest, Southeast). The quadrants are also numbered 1,2,3 and 4 starting in the Northeast quadrant and continuing clockwise.
- Once at a quadrant of your tree that you are studying, answer the questions that are asked on the app.
- Before hitting measure you will randomly pick an outer leaf in the quadrant and place it inside of the MultispeQ and on the device “take measurement”. (Make sure to not cover the white circle part of the MultispeQ, or the data will not record properly.) when clamping the leaf make sure it stays in its natural position
- Once the MultispeQ is done collecting the data, a graph will appear showcasing the data collected for that leaf. Release the leaf from the MultispeQ.
- You will repeat steps 4-6 FIVE times in each of the four quadrants for EACH tree. In total you will have 20 measurements per a tree, 5 in each quadrant.
- To upload the data, reconnect the wifi and then go back to the list of projects and click on the refresh arrow. You should get a note about the data being uploaded.
- Leaf Photosynthesis - MultispeQ Beta ONLY
Measures photosynthesis-related parameters in <15 seconds, including: Phi2, PhiNPQ, PhiNO, NPQt, qL, LEF, and SPAD. In addition, measures PAR (photosynthetically active radiation), ambient temperature and relative humidity.
Works with the MultispeQ Beta device only
- Is it a fruiting or non fruiting tree? (Multiple Choice)
- What is the tree code? (Multiple Choice)
- Which quadrant sampled? (Multiple Choice)
- Randomly selected leaf counted in the quadrant - # count? (Multiple Choice)
- How many fruits are present? (Multiple Choice)