This project is looking at the difference in the amount of cholorphyll, LEF, and PhiII produced in the four cardinal quadrants of Liquidambar trees to see if there is any significant difference between them. This will be achieved by dividing each tree into the 4 cardinal quadrants and measuring the content of LEF, Phi2, NPQt, and PQ SPAD3 of only green leaves (as they are actively doing photosynthesis with chlorophyll) and then analyzing the data using ANOVA tests to see if there are any significant differences. Those variables were chosen as they relate directly to the photosynthetic activity of the leaves using chlorophyll. It does not matter where the leaves are chosen from - inside, outside, up top, down below - as long as a good representation is chosen (i.e. chose ones from all of those areas of the tree).
As this project has a set number of biological and technical replicates, outside contributions will not be needed.
Three different biological replicates are being used: Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050402, Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050403, and Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050404.
This project will be conducted over a period of 7 weeks and contributions will be made twice a week on separate days. By the end, a total of n=560 samples should be taken from each tree for a total of n=1680.
The hope of this project is to help further understanding of the photosynthetic potential of plants and have the result be extrapolated to farmers or horticulturists. Certain plants require lots of light to do well, knowing how to place those plants will be beneficial to its efficient growth and thus the economic benefit of the farmer or horticulturist.
The hypothesis is that the East quadrant will show a higher photosynthetic activity compared to the other quadrants.
Random Sampling Method
- - Multispeq 132
- - Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050402, Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050403, and Liquidambar styraciflua 2008050404
- - use only green leaves
- - choose leaves from each quadrant starting with the North side and ending with the East (go in a counter-clockwise direction)
- - use only 10 leaves from each quadrant from each tree during each contribution
- - choose leaves from all over the quadrant: top, bottom, inside, outside
- Leaf Photosynthesis - MultispeQ Beta ONLY
Measures photosynthesis-related parameters in <15 seconds, including: Phi2, PhiNPQ, PhiNO, NPQt, qL, LEF, and SPAD. In addition, measures PAR (photosynthetically active radiation), ambient temperature and relative humidity.
Works with the MultispeQ Beta device only
- Liquidambar tree code was? (Multiple Choice)
- Which quadrant sampled? (Multiple Choice)
- Randomly selected leaf counted in the quadrant - # count? (Multiple Choice)