This project, looked at which tree genera, Liquidambar or Ulmus had higher photosynthetic efficiency measured using ΦII, LEF, and PQ SPAD. The hypothesis was that photosynthesis was higher in Liquidambar than Ulmus, thus all variables would be higher for Liquidambar.
- Get Step Stool, MultispeQ #127, and Tablet #7
- Find Liquidambar tree 20080504*03
- Starting at the North quadrant of the tree. Use the step stool to climb up to the second step and close eyes and select the exterior of a dry green leaf.
- Use the MultispeQ and Tablet to take a measurement of the first leaf sample near the center of the base of the leaf.
- Repeat this for the remaining 4 leafs in the quadrant.
- Go to the next quadrant, moving clockwise around the tree.
- Take 5 samples from each quadrant repeating the method above.
- Go to the 3 Ulmus trees.
- Repeat the method above for the three trees.
The Liquidambar trees that data came from were the following: 2008050402, 2008050403, 20080504*04. Two of the trees are located by the north entrance to Kedzie hall, and the other is located between the Psychology Building and Giltner hall.
The Ulmus" trees that data came from were the following: 2008049601, 2008049602, 2008049603. The three trees are located along the south side of Farm Lane, across from the Natural Sciences building.
The variables measured were ΦII (photosynthetic efficiency of PSII, LEF (Linear Electron Flow), and PQ SPAD (cholorphyll content).
There would be 5 measurements from each quadrant from each tree, totaling 20 measurements per tree for 6 trees each time measurements were taken. This would mean that per tree, 240 measurements would be taken over the 12 week span. Totaling 1440 measurements for all of the trees over the 12 weeks.
- Leaf Photosynthesis - MultispeQ Beta ONLY
Measures photosynthesis-related parameters in <15 seconds, including: Phi2, PhiNPQ, PhiNO, NPQt, qL, LEF, and SPAD. In addition, measures PAR (photosynthetically active radiation), ambient temperature and relative humidity.
Works with the MultispeQ Beta device only
- Which tree genus? (Multiple Choice)
- Which tree code? (Multiple Choice)
- What quadrant sampled? (Multiple Choice)
- What is the leaf count? (Multiple Choice)